Sunday, March 29, 2015

Watch list: Besiege

If you're into physics based sandbox games, you should keep an eye on Besiege by Spiderling Studios. Keep in mind however that this game is an early access game on steam and has it's quarks. So let's get into the review!

The Good:

Personally I love sandbox games and  Spiderling has pulled it off very well. There isn't much to the campaign mode right now but what they do have is really quite fun! In my first few minutes of game play I was kind of frustrated (More in The Bad) until i figured out the key binding system that drives the game! Spiderling gives you an array of devices and weapons for you to get creative with, some of which I still have to figure out. The overall look of Besiege give a very simplistic and artistic atmosphere that matches perfectly with a sandbox game. I was also quite impressed at how my low power school issued laptop was able to run the game extremely well.

The Bad:

To start off I'd have to say that there really aren't enough tutorials on all of the gadgets that you can play with in the game. I would like to see some tutorial specific levels and example machines that you can build upon. The campaign is quite short but don't let that be a deciding factor as there is plenty more of it to come. (Even a moon based level!) I feel as though the wheels on your machine are either too powerful or just don't get enough friction. They seem to spin on the ground and not propel you as much as they should, especially for heavy wheels that are as big as a man.

The Ugly:

Oh the freaking physics! It took me days to finally get used to the very strange physics that are in the game. Specifically the flying physics! I spent 5 hours straight in the sandbox mode just tinkering with different flying contraptions until i finally had lift off! To me that is the only big downfall of the game that needs a slight tweak in the engine or the gadgets used to make flying machines.

Summery:

I would definitely suggest Besiege to anyone who enjoys physics based sandbox carnage! It makes a great time killer too! Buy the game now while it's cheap because it is a very promising that has plenty more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment